Sunday, January 24, 2010

Howl by Magic Hat

Beer: Howl (Winter Seasonal 09/10)
Style: Black Lager
Brewery: Magic Hat Brewing Company
Brewery Location: South Burlington, VT
Site: http://www.magichat.net/
Hops: Apollo, Hallertau
Malts: Pale, Crystal, Carafa
ABV: 4.6%


Pour: Off the charts dark with a not much head. The bottle caps from Magic Hat are always interesting too. This one said “All my friends are brown and red,” which gave me a little chuckle.

Smell: Really soft nose on this one; slightly nutty with hints of tobacco

Taste: I had mine near ice cold and would recommend it that way. Went down very easy. Felt full and complete in the mouth while delivering just the right hints of coffee and chocolate undertones.

Drinkability: This is a great winter seasonal. It is chilly outside right now, and it felt just right sipping on this brew. If I was going to have a few drinks, this wouldn’t be my choice. It is not especially heavy (I think its Lager roots must help that), some may enjoy having more then one in a sitting. I’ve been milking the six-pack I picked up a couple weeks ago, and look forward to see what Magic Hat has to offer next year.

Grade: B (Almost a B+, but it was less enjoyable as it warmed up just a few degrees.)

4 comments:

  1. Yeah magic hat is some quality stuff. I wouldn't mind trying out one of their Jinx beers, its supposedly some kind of smoky tasting beer. Could be really good or could taste really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way that is one fine glass my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't seem to find Jinx anymore out here. I know that Magic Hat is really big on offering up limited edition seasonals and that may have been one of them...I'm not sure. I'll be posting soon with a Flying Dog selection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you would get a kick out of the glass...

    ReplyDelete