Saturday, January 23, 2010

Black Chocolate Stout


Beer: Black Chocolate Stout
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
Brewery: Brooklyn Brewery
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Website: http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/
Serving Type: 12oz bottle
Glass: Tulip
ABV: 10.1%

Review:
Pour: Very dark with a huge head...at least three fingers. This gives it plenty of time to warm up.

Smell: The chocolate is definitely there with a bit of coffee, malt, and some plum.

Taste: Very sweet initially and LOTS of chocolate and coffee flavors. You can feel the alcohol going down on this one, but it goes well with the style.

Lacing: Not much. This is surprising since the head was full, but I'm assuming that this one is more malty than hoppy.

Drinkablity: There's a reason this now comes in a four-pack (last year was a sixer). You'll want to sip on this one and enjoy the complexity of it. I'd say it's the east coast version of North Coast's "Old Rasputin". I'll probably catch hell for that, but it's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Grade: A

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a beer i will be trying to find out west. I really like Brooklyn Brewery, i read their book, "Bottling Success at Brooklyn Brewery" they are the real deal. The problem I have with them is that they contract out something like 90% of their beer brewering due to the cost of brewing in Brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you can't find any of this out there and I'll employ the USPS to remedy that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. check this out, this is what we need.
    http://www.ebeaver.com
    they are a shipping supply company for bottles.

    ReplyDelete